The TAURON Group is one of the biggest companies in Poland and one of the largest energy holdings in Central and Eastern Europe. It is headed up by its parent - TAURON Polska Energia with its registered office in Katowice.
TAURON sells electricity and from 2014, gas, across Poland; however, the Group’s generation assets (coal mines, power plants, CHP plants and distribution lines) are located in southwestern Poland.
The company has physical customer service branches in this region. The exceptions to this rule apply to the Stalowa Wola power plant and wind farms that are located in the northerm part of Poland on account of weather conditions.
The TAURON Group has a fully-integrated vertical supply chain – from coal mining, through generation and distribution, to electricity and heat sales and customer service. The holding also conducts, on a smaller scale, wholesale sales of fuel and derivatives (trading in coal and biomass). Since 2014 TAURON has also been trading natural gas – initially its offer targeted businesses. Since August 2015 private individuals may also buy gas from TAURON.
TAURON is an important element for the safe and reliable operation of the National Power System (KSE). Every day the Group’s 25 thousand plus employees contribute to 5.4 million clients having uninterrupted access to electricity.
TAURON Dystrybucja is the biggest company measured by headcount with over 7.6 thousand employees.
TAURON Wydobycie and TAURON Wytwarzanie are also big. These three companies employ a total of more than 16.2 thousand people. The staff primarily consists of males on account of the specific physical nature of the work. In turn, at TAURON Obsługa Klienta women account for more than 66% of the staff. In total, men constitute more than 78% of the staff.
TAURON Group’s member companies
This company consists of two coal mines – Zakład Górniczy “Janina” in Libiąż and Zakład Górniczy “Sobieski” in Jaworzno. In total, they have 20% of the steam coal in Poland. This company mines, prepares and sells coal. It also pays great attention to mining waste management. In 2015 output totalled 4.9 million tonnes, including 74% used within TAURON Group and the remaining 26% sold to external customers. TAURON Wydobycie employs 5.5 thousand people and, at the same time, it is the key employer in Libiąż and Jaworzno. On 1 January 2016 the TAURON Group acquired a portion of the Brzeszcze coal mine’s assets for gradual incorporation in TAURON Wydobycie.
The sorbents produced by Kopalnia Wapienia Czatkowice are mainly used by power plants and combined heat and power plants in modern flue gas purification technologies. On an annual basis, this coal mine employing almost 300 people produces products to eliminate approximately 140 million cubic metres of sulphuric acids. Other products delivered by Czatkowice are also used in the metallurgical, construction and confectionery industries. In 2015, the mine began to operate a new deposit extending the life of mine until 2060 at the least.
It manages 4 power plants – Elektrownia Jaworzno III, Elektrownia Łaziska, Elektrownia Łagisza and Elektrownia Siersza with a total capacity of 4.5 GW that produced over 14.5 GWh of electricity (including 0.65 GWh from biomass) and over 3.3 GJ of heat in 2015. The generation units meet strict environmental protection standards. TAURON Wytwarzanie also focuses on research and development issues, initiating various types of innovative projects. Currently, the company is also running the TAURON Group’s biggest investment project, a coal-fired unit with a capacity of 910 MW at Elektrownia Jaworzno III. Over 3 thousand people are employed by TAURON Wytwarzanie.
The Company is the biggest heat supplier in Upper Silesia and one of the biggest in Poland. It comprises 3 coal-fired combined heat and power plants (Zakład Wytwarzania Tychy, Zakład Wytwarzania Katowice and Elektrociepłownia Bielsko-Biała) as well as local heating plants – inter alia, in Kamienna Góra. In 2015 these units produced 11.5 PJ of heat. The heating system of Tauron Ciepło provides service to 3600 clients in the Silesian Province and part of the Małopolska Province heats 10 thousand facilities and holds 3700 hubs with weather control. It is supplied, in total, from 73 sources, including 58 own sources. The grid length is 1100 km. TAURON Ciepło employs 1650 people.
The “green” company in TAURON’s generation portfolio, comprising 35 hydropower plants with a total capacity of 143 MW and 4 wind farms with a capacity of 201 MW. In 2015 these units produced 0.8 PJ of electricity. The assets held by TAURON Ekoenergia, employing over 170 people, are mainly concentrated in northern and western Poland. Some hydropower plants deserve particular attention which, despite their age, are still in excellent condition and operate without failure.
The TAURON Group’s biggest company measured by headcount (almost 7.7 thousand employees) – is responsible for electricity distribution. Its power grids are more than 215 thousand km in length and span five provinces (Lower Silesia, Opolskie, Silesia, Małopolskie and Podkarpackie) equal to 18.3% of Poland’s landmass, supplying electricity to over 5.4 million clients. This makes TAURON the biggest distributor of electricity in the country. Moreover, the company controls operations of over 56 thousand electrical substations, comprising almost 700 HV/MV stations. In 2015 many investment and retrofitting projects related to grid infrastructure were carried out – all with the purpose of ensuring safe energy use by 5.4 million clients daily at any moment.
Company responsible for electricity and gas sales. It is the second biggest electricity seller in Poland. In 2015, retail electricity sales were 35.9 TWh. The new offer – Elektryk 24h (Electrician 24 hours a day), used by 0.5 million clients was a grand success. Last year, TAURON Sprzedaż also ran an intensive campaign promoting natural gas as a fuel. Over 270 people work in this company located in Kraków.
The company’s “point of first contact” with clients, managing physical customer service branches as well as other communication channels – the electronic Customer Service Office (e-BOK) and call centre. TAURON achieves high customer service satisfaction scores every year. In 2015, 80% of its customers positively evaluated the work done by our consultants. TAURON Obsługa Klienta – employing over 2800 people – is also responsible for providing services to internal clients in the TAURON Group, i.e. other financial and accounting, ITC, IT and HR and payroll companies.
Membership in associations
As one of Poland’s biggest companies, TAURON strives to participate actively in developing the sector and its individual sub-areas. Accordingly, TAURON employees represent the Group in various organisations, chambers and trade associations – sharing their knowledge and experience to benefit the Group and the overall Polish energy sector.
- supporting member of the Polish Electricity Association;
- member of the Chamber of Commerce for Energy and Environmental Protection;
- supporting member of the Polish Higher Education Business Forum;
- supporting member of the Polish Member Committee of the World Energy Council;
- supporting member of the Polish Association of Securities Issuers;
- ordinary member of the Association of Employers of the Republic of Poland.
- member of the Association of Polish Inventors and Rationalizers;
- supporting member of the Chamber of Commerce for Energy and Environmental Protection;
- supporting member of the Economic Society of Polish Power Plants;
- member of the Polish Ecology Chamber;
- member of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Katowice;
- member of the Association of Polish Electrical Engineers, Coal Basin Branch;
- supporting member of VGB;
- member of the Polish ISO 14000-INEM Poland forum;
- member of the Polish ISO 9000 forum;
- member of the Accountants Association in Poland;
- member of the European Patent Institute;
- member of the Polish Electricity Association through TAURON Polska Energia;
- member of the Polish Testing Laboratories POLLAB.
- supporting member with sponsor status of the Polish Wind Energy Association;
- supporting member of the Society for the Development of Small Hydropower Plants;
- supporting member of the Society of Hydropower Plants;
- supporting member of the Association of Polish Electrical Engineers, Jelenia Góra Branch.
- ordinary member of the Polish Association of Aggregates Producers.
- member of the Association of Polish Electrical Engineers;
- member of the Mining Chamber of Industry and Commerce;
- member of Professor Wacław Cybulski „Safe Mining” Foundation;
- supporting member of the Association: Polish Committee of the World Mining Congress;
- founder of the Foundation of Miner Families.
- member of the Polish Society of Commercial Combined Heat and Power Plants;
- member of the Regional Chamber of Industry and Commerce in Tychy;
- member of the Polish Accreditation Centre;
- member of the Polish Union of Combustion By-products.
- supporting member of the Polish Society of Electricity Transmission and Distribution;
- supporting member of the Association of Polish Electrical Engineers.
- supporting member of the Society of Energy Trading.
- supporting member of the Society of Energy Trading;
- member of Consumer Federation;
- member of the Polish Association of Data Processing Centres.
The TAURON Group is the biggest energy distributor and the second biggest energy seller and generator in Poland. Its grid of 261 thousand km in length spans afive provinces: Lower Silesia, Opolskie, Silesia, Małopolskie and Podkarpackie, covering 57 thousand km2 and more than 18% of Poland’s landmass. In 2015 we produced a total of 16.6 TWh of electricity supplied to nearly 5.3 million clients from all over Poland. Coal is our main fuel. The TAURON Group has two coal mines in Libiąż and Jaworzno with approximately 20% of Poland’s coal resources. In 2016, a third coal mine called Kopalnia Brzeszcze joined the Group.
Besides coal, we also use biomass, wind and hydro to generate electricity. They accounted for 10% of energy generation in 2015. TAURON also produces heat and is its biggest supplier to Upper Silesia and one of the biggest in Poland. In 2015 combined heat and power plants and local heating stations produced 11.5 PJ of heat to warm 700 thousand flats and institutions in Silesia and Dąbrowa. However, TAURON offers more than electricity and heat and the related services. TAURON also offers natural gas to a growing number of clients. Information concerning our products and services may be obtained from TAURON’s employees, by e-mail, post, phone or by visiting one of its 37 customer service branches.